The Frying Pan


 Originally written in my journal October 21, 2017 at 1:11 PM.

On my ride home from work yesterday, I found myself reflecting on how Great God has been to me. I smiled at the ways he stepped in, in some of the most mundane things in my life.

It was Friday, October 20, 2017. I left work an hour later, 5:00 PM. I had several errands to run but opted to leave them for Sunday since the sun would be setting in less than 2 hrs. I needed gas, so I pulled into the gas station and filled up my tank. My Friday evening routine. I decided any [car] cleaning would also need to wait. [There was a pull to go home].  I needed to get home, but nor before getting something to eat. 

I stopped at Sunrise and ordered supper plus 2 dinners- for Sabbath and Sunday. I knew I didn't have time to cook before sunset, and I wasn't in the mood. Cooking for just me wasn't appealing. 

I drove home. Parked, closed my blind, placed the safety locks on. I was going to lock away for the night. I walked in and headed to the kitchen to place some bags on the counter. Nearing the stove, a strong heat cloaked my body. I looked, lo and behold, the stove was on! A frying pan was on the stove. I quickly turned it off, removed the pan from the heat source and fell to my knees, THANKING GOD FOR BEING SO MERCIFUL TO ME!!

I didn't dwell on the "what-ifs" I focused on praising God that I did not burn the house down. I left the pot on the stove. Charred in the centre and it dawned on me that even thought the heat was so stinging, the handle of the pot was cool and in tact. No, the flame was not at it's lowest, it was at about mid level. [The pot had been used that morning to cook an item; the water was left in the pot].

I left the pot overnight with plans of tossing it the next day. This was recent purchase, but I considered it a simple loss compared to what I had been saved from. I was thankful. 

About 30 mins ago, I went to the kitchen and saw the pot. I took a piece of paper towel and wiped out the charred pieces that had somehow lifted overnight. As I wiped them out, my mind started to think of what art work I could add to the middle.  [If you know me, I look for lessons or opportunities in most of my experiences- God doesn't waste our experiences]. I was thinking of painting it and using vinyl. But the more I removed the burnt pieces, the more I realized the pot was still useful. 

I added some Vim and rubbed it. The bottom was beginning to reappear. It had slight markings, but I could use my pot. No need to up-cycle or toss. In that silent moment, the Holy Spirit spoke:

[editted]

1. This pot got scorched by the heat and endured the flames for over 10 hrs. I left home at 7:30 AM and got in around 6:30 PM.

2. The centre had been burnt beyond recognition, yet it did not cause harm to the space it was in. 

3. The outside was in tact even while it was charred on the inside.

4. It did not give off a stench, though it gave off a heat.

5. My first thought towards the pot was to toss it. No longer useful. 

6. I gently wiped the burnt pieces away, revealing the stronger areas of the pot, which though a little scarred, was still useful. 

7. My alternative to tossing was to convert it into something else. To male it do what it was not made to do. But being scarred, was not a good enough reason to remove it from it's abilities.

Lord knows I was like or am like that pot. The flames that I have been through have left so many scars and if it was not your grace and mercy keeping me in the flames, I would have been tossed aside and rejected.

Added Sept 5, 2020

Now I add a bit more to this lesson

Have you felt like you have been in the flames of life, left cooking with disappointment after disappointment? The flames of abuse, financial difficulties, marital woes, an unruly child, toxic relationships, joblessness, homelessness, confusion, disease, illness? 

Have you sometimes been shocked at how you are still standing? The pot on the fire had water in it. The water helped to keep the pot in tact while the heat scorched it's behind. I strongly feel like for me- the water that was in me- the promises of God, the bible verses I grew up on, the prayers of family and friends and the words they spoke into my life- has played a great role in keeping me through these scorching moments.

But like the pot, I do feel dried out. All my water has left me and at times I know the source for refilling but feel too exhausted from the heat to even call out for a refill. God knows it get's really hard. But hold on my friend. Just hold on, the Living Water will quench that raging fire and fill you anew.

Through my moments in the flames, I often use my words to cause pain in getting back at the person or persons.  This pot did not cause harm to anything in it's surrounding. I need to learn to be still and let God fight my battles, He doesn't need my help. He can keep me in the flames while keeping my integrity in tact.

God uses us in our most broken state to bring glory to Him. He can turn ashes into beauty using the one who survived the fires of life. Don't change who you are for a place on the wall.. you are not a static item for decor purposes, you are a royalty, chosen, loved called and built for a purpose. 

Nickilin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still In the Potter's Hand

Lessons from My Garden

Yet Will I Trust Him...