Lessons from My Garden





 Originally posted August 16, 2020 on my Instagram account.

My vegetable garden really struggled this year. Many of the seeds I had sown did not flourish. With Covid-19 on our heels, I was a bit hesitant to visit the garden centers for seedlings to add to my dying stock. I eventually went and got my callaloo and peppers. But alas, those struggled as well.


                                                          



I remember talking to a friend of mine and my dad and sharing my concerns. I suspected it was the soil. My dad helped me to expand the garden bed but we mixed some clay in with the new soil. Clay was tight. It wasn't "breathable". I said I was going to pull them all up and start over. But both said, no let them go through the season.

I took their advice.

Look at this bounteous harvest. From this garden I have blessed a family, friends, neighbours and the food bank.

                                                                        



Lessons learnt:

1. We don't always get the ideal start (soil), and at times it feels suffocating. We feel like giving up. Throwing in the towel... even starting over. Truth is, whilst starting over is sometimes a good choice, sometimes it's not... you may not know how close you are to a breakthrough under the current circumstances. Starting over can be a setback. ..persevere...use what you have been dealt and brace yourself to reap a bounteous harvest.



2. Life has its seasons. Do not lose hope in times of decay and pain, mark them as stones of remembrance from where God took you... look forward to the season of growth and prosperity.


3. Check in with others who care about your success. Share how you feel and take the time to listen to their suggestions. Some have years of wisdom and can coach you to success.


                                                                  



4. Share the fruits of your success. Do not hoard them. The more I cut the Callaloo, the more it grows. There is a sweet feeling with sharing freshly picked produce with a loved one or friend.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still In the Potter's Hand

Yet Will I Trust Him...